HostGator Web Hosting Help
How to change the WordPress URL
This article will explain how to change your WordPress Urls.
It is highly recommended that you make a backup of your database before continuing. If you don't know how please read How to Backup a MySQL Database
The URLs in the database need to point to the actual location of your site. If they do not, the site will not work correctly.
What You Need
To perform this task you will need the following Items.
- The name of your WordPress database. If you aren't sure please see How to find your WordPress Database
- Your HostGator cpanel username and password
These steps explain how to access phpMyAdmin.
- From your account cpanel, go to the databases group of icons, and click on phpMyAdmin.
- When prompted log in with your cPanel username and password.
- From the list of databases, select the database for your WordPress site.
Enter new URLs
These steps explain how to change the URLs in the database.
In the table list, click on the options table
Note: In our example the table prefix is "wp_" the prefix varies from site to site so don't worry if yours is different.
- Click edit next to the siteurl row
Enter the new url into the option_value box
Note: The urls in the database need to point to the actual location of your site. If they do not, the site will not work correctly.
- Click the Go button.
- Repeat these steps for the homeurl
The WordPress URLs will now be set to what you entered.
Now that the site URL's have been changed its a good idea to update your permalink structure as well. These steps explain how.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Hover over the settings link, in the menu that appears click on permalinks
- Without making any changes to your settings click the save button at the bottom.
The permalinks are now up to date